We’re recruiting for a Director of Leadership Giving and I wanted to share the posting with you should you know of any candidates. This position also has oversight for our Women United and Emerging Leaders affinity groups, with the manager of each of those and the department coordinator reporting to the Director.
Director of Leadership Giving
United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut is one of more than 1,200 autonomous United Ways in our nation and nearly 1,800 community-based United Ways in 45 countries and territories. We have the unique ability, vision and resources to bring together diverse stakeholders around a community vision of creating positive change to achieve long-lasting results for children and families.
To engage and bring together people and resources committed to the well-being of children and families in our community.
Join Our Team! Career Opportunity
We are searching for a Director of Leadership Giving who’s a strategic thinker, mission-driven, team-oriented and has a ‘can-do’/solution orientation. The Director would be excited by working in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple priorities and identifying innovative ways of increasing loyal contributors among specific affinity groups: leadership givers, young professionals, women and legacy donors. The Director is also a member of United Way’s management team, directly contributing to its culture, external relationships/brand, and the organization’s success in raising the financial resources to fulfill its mission.
As the Director of Leadership Giving, you will:
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward leadership giving from individuals/families with emphasis on United Way affinity groups (ex., local/national United Way leadership societies, young professionals and women; philanthropy fund; individuals outside of workplace giving; legacy gifts).
- Manage department staff to ensure development and execution of strategies to attract, retain and grow membership and increase giving to United Way; ensures opportunities for staff professional growth and development.
- Lead prospect management meetings with President and CEO, leadership volunteers and/or internal staff to ensure coordination of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities.
- Initiate contacts with potential leadership/major gift donors, align interests with United Way initiatives and develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them. Prepares President and CEO or designee for conversations/meetings with current/prospective leadership/major gift donors.
- Effectively manage United Way’s Philanthropy Fund including increasing participation and efficient, timely gift processing, acknowledgment and reporting of donor designations.
- Recognize leadership donors in timely, effective ways including annual production of United Way’s roster.
- Ensure confidentiality of all donor information as well as accurate and timely entry in customer relationship management (CRM) software.
- Effectively manage and leverage the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database and process, ensuring own and staff proficiency in regularly analyzing data and reports for leadership giving opportunity and risk identification.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of strategies, initiatives, special events and overall results for leadership giving and affinity groups.
- Lead organizational teams responsible for increasing membership and revenue through effective fundraising events by United Way’s women and young professionals’ affinity groups.
- Attend United Way events as well as outside events for United Way representation, networking etc.
- Perform other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline.
- Certified Fundraising Executive Credential preferred.
- Minimum five years’ experience in leadership/major gift fundraising.
- Perform job with integrity, consistent with the mission, vision, values and beliefs of United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut. Adheres to the highest ethical standards; demonstrate empathetic disposition, and perseverance; reflect optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to needs of the donors.
- Demonstrate United Way Core Competencies (Mission-Focused, Relationship-Oriented, Collaborator, Results-Driven and Brand Steward); and,
- Knowledge of all charitable gift planning vehicles, including how to determine the appropriate vehicles for specific prospects.
- Track record of taking prospects to solicitation and closing leadership gifts in education/human services.
- Excellent interpersonal and social skills; able to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Strong customer-centric focus in all tasks and activities.
- Ability to maintain professional standards and conduct, internally and externally.
- Strong relationship management skills enhancing internal organizational relations, external community interactions, and in business development opportunities.
- Works collaboratively with, and in support of, volunteers and United Way staff to achieve donor, workplace partner and organization needs.
- Ability to relate well with people from diverse groups.
- Holds self and other team members accountable for achieving results.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft CRM preferred).
- Proficiency in iWave or similar donor cultivation resources.
- Proficiency in customer relationship management software (StratusLive preferred).
- Driver’s license and valid transportation.
How to apply:
Qualified applicants should submit a resume and a cover letter describing 1) their qualifications and experiences 2) salary requirements, and 3) how they learned about the position to:
United Way of Central and Northeastern CT
30 Laurel Street
Hartford, CT 06106
Email: email@example.com No phone calls please.
United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut is an equal opportunity employer M / F / D / V.